Sunday, January 16, 2011

Running & Eating, Eating & Running



It is what horses do best right! So much fun to watch as well and the track has definitely gotten its use the last few days while the horses have enjoyed being out on it. 



Now I am trying to figure out the best ways to feed the two of them. I use a round bale and I also keep some square bales around that they like best because it its timothy instead of the plain grass hay that the big bales are made of. The problem with the timothy bales is that they are very expensive but they do give them more encouragement to walk the track. So what I have been doing is mixing a little timothy in with some grass hay and seems to work.

I have also seen more destruction and waist with the two of them at the bale. To combat this I have decided to keep the round bale covered and put a bulk amount in small mesh bags. 
Really, your going to cover it? Such a perfect Frankie look!

I am also putting some loose hay on the ground along the track. Munchie will eat out of the nets but he rather not work so hard, he wants quick and easy! It is more work for me and if I have a day that is too busy I will simply let them at the round bale. The waste is just proving to be too much if they are allowed to be on it all the time.
I would like to build some more feeders but that will have to wait. I have five of the small mesh hay bags and I use all of them. There is also the barrel and I want to put up one more. I really would like to also get a bag of hay cubes but our local place only has alfalfa cubes. There is one other place I will check to see if they have the plain timothy cubes.





4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. They show a track system in operation really well. You must be very pleased.

    Máire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Maire! I really love it. The main hardship is the time it takes to fill all the hay nets. I want more really large ones so I don't have to fill so often.
    I love your blog and that you post way more often than I do :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful for anyone who wonders even slightly about paddock paradise. paddock management

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you D, I love my paddock and my pony munchkin loves it too. He is alone now but not forever. I will get another horse but in the meantime he is using the paddock all day. he even sleeps out there instead of the barn. I have plans to enlarge it hear soon too.

    ReplyDelete